The Peggy Still School of Music is one of the few and first private music schools in Georgia who offer a Preschool program.
Kids do well when they know what is expected of them. Our preschool program offers one-on-one sessions that introduce your preschooler to music in entertaining, yet structured, half-hour lessons. Youngsters learn that music is meant to be fun all the while learning about the many different types of music.
They also learn simple children's songs using color-coded electronic keyboards, both "by ear" as well as "by the notes." But there is one more thing your child will learn - the power of "self", self-discipline and self-respect. Give your child a gift that can continue to grow for a lifetime. If your child is interested in music, has a good attention span for their age and is at least 4 years old, now is the time to start them on their musical journey.
Through our music lessons for kids, the children:
- Learn the fundamentals of music
- Have performance of piano/keyboard and voice.
- Learn to grasp abstract concepts.
- Attention span is increased.
- Are eased into music lessons.
- Learn beginner piano music theory.
Preschool Program Curriculum
PS School of Music teaches weekly preschool classes to include the following:
(Goal - to give student complete musical knowledge yet keep their attention and make learning fun)
- Music Appreciation = Introduce various styles of music beginning with Classical works by famous Classical composers. Also teach students about various instruments used in these selections (instruments of the orchestra.)
- Ear Training = Begin with singing. Teaching the student to learn songs through hearing and creating pitches that are equal to what they have heard. This can be easily accomplished through singing and learning to sing songs. The instructor will also help the student learn basic correct singing technique and dynamics. Eventually the more advanced preschooler will also work on simple interval (distance of notes/pitches) recognition etc.
- Color Identification = Teach color identification through the use of flashcards, prism, diagrams etc.
- Number Identification = Teach number identification through the use of flashcards, counting exercises, etc.
- Letter Identification = Teach letter identification through the use of flashcards eventually leading to teaching corresponding color and piano key (regular piano).
- Distance = Teaching distance through the use of circles, revolutions, and strings.
- Universal Keyboard Repertoire = Try to teach the student 1 song per week depending on student ability and difficulty of song. Universal Keyboard is specially designed for the young beginner - all keys are equally distanced and sight-reading uses colors to help young beginners.
- Piano = Begin with letter and color association to piano key. Start with simple 5 note scales using colors - then letters - eventually on the treble and bass clef. When the student is comfortable playing both the Universal Keyboard and the piano, begin teaching songs on the piano also.
- Rhythm Instruction = Using percussive hand held instruments and clapping to play various rhythms. Eventually work on reading rhythms.
- Art/color Instruction = Use coloring to teach various music, instrument, color, number, rhythm, and music history fundamentals.
Each standard lesson is 30 minutes. The instructor will attempt to do as many of the 10 items as possible to keep the attention of the young beginner. The young child will view these as fun games/activities - even though they are being taught important fundamentals of music. Each week Universal Keyboard and piano instruction will be taught (item 7 & 8) the other items can be rotated depending on time.
These children music lessons are available at all of our schools: in Alpharetta, Woodstock, and Atlanta.
For more information and/or to enroll, please contact us at 770.753.0322 or email email@example.com